What is LGBTQIA Advocacy?
Individuals in the LGBTQIA community often face an increased amount of difficulties and stigma in nearly all aspects of their everyday life compared to those who are cisgender or straight. Through LGBTQIA advocacy, a CICS advocate partners with a family and other relevant parties, including schools, doctors, employers, and community members, to assist in everyday life for your LGBTQIA child. By taking the time to understand your child’s preferences and needs, as well as having extensive knowledge in applicable laws, procedures, and interventions, our advocates can represent your child and family in ensuring that the individual has the proper support they need in their life.Contact Us
How can it help you?
An LGBTQIA advocate can help by:
- Reviewing records and understanding your child to make informed, individualized recommendations regarding your child’s future, education, medical approaches, or community involvement.
- Developing strategic plans for both relevant parties and your family to support your child’s needs.
- Being hired by individuals and organizations that interact with your child to train and educate these parties on how to better understand and be more inclusive for your child and others in the LGBTQIA community.
- Attending appointments between relevant parties and your child to advocate for the access to necessary accommodations and resources.
What to expect:
An LGBTQIA advocate will:
- Ensure the schools, medical providers, community organizations, and other relevant parties are providing appropriate services and are held accountable as outlined by law*.
- Provide information to parents if the relevant parties and parents cannot come to an agreement.
- Verify that plans created are thorough and based on the needs of your child.
- Check that your child is benefiting from all available programs.
- Provide those that interact with the LGBTQIA community a better understanding of how to better accommodate for and meet the needs of your child.
- Review that modifications and accommodations are being properly utilized.
Our LGBTQIA advocacy solution is $100 per hour and includes virtual consultation, attendance at meetings with organizations assisting with your child’s transition, and correspondence relevant parties. Unfortunately, few insurance plans cover LGBTQIA advocacy so CICS offers a cash payment option.
*Please note: while all CICS staff are knowledgeable about laws, we are NOT lawyers. We cannot give legal advice, but can tell you when it’s time to involve a lawyer. There are pro bono attorneys in the Lehigh Valley we can refer you to, including North Penn Legal Services.